Friday, February 24, 2012

3 things about God's commands

A devotion I shared with my seniors:

Matthew 2 is basically about the magi visiting Jesus and Joseph, Mary, and Jesus escaping from Herod's baby killing.

A quick story to share: 1 of my two best friends of 20 years Kristine is turning 26 today, and tomorrow she's celebrating her birthday tomorrow by having a hotel party and bar-crawling (going from bar to bar) in SF. The past 3 years she's had her birthday in Tahoe, Vegas, or anywhere out of town and I've had to miss it. I've never missed any of her birthdays since we were 5. Even when I was in college, I'd fly up for her birthday celebrations. So I asked her this year to make her bday in town so we can celebrate together! So what do I do now that she is having a hotel-party-bar-crawl birthday celebration? 

1. God has commands for us to carry out.
God put a star in the sky to lead the magi, He warned the magi not to return to Herod, He told Joseph in 3 dreams to get away from where he was at. What would've happened if they didn't listen? And even if they had to listen, did they want to? The fact of the matter is they DID - and I want to say I listened to God too. But first I have to be ready to receive a command from God instead of making decisions on my own, which I do most of the time!

2. God is an all-knowing and protective King!
King Herod was outsmarted by the magi and because of this he went crazy on the baby murders! Our King is not like that. He knows everything and wants to protect us, which is why he commanded the magi to go another route and Joseph to escape. It's easier to obey a King who knows more than us and wants us safe. But the similar thing about King Herod and our King is that as kings, they send people out to report back to them (v 8). If God sends me out to an un-Christian crowd/situation, what will I report back to Him?

3. Following God's commands brings us EXCEEDINGLY GREAT JOY!
A lot of people can live their whole lives not knowing what this is like. It's unexplainable and no one can re-create it. But we are guaranteed to experience this when we follow God's commands. This is what the magi felt when they followed the star to where Jesus was (v 10). How can I be at Kristine's birthday party while still following Jesus all the way?

Find out on Sunday and pray for me! God is faithful and true. Thanks for being my accountability! :)

Love,
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. even though i was super butt-sore and upset that i didn't get to enjoy the bbq with Rainbow, I'm very impressed and glad at the testimony you were in front of your friends. i heard you tell many people that you have services at church the next morning.

    props!

    ReplyDelete